COVID-19 has expedited technological advancement and produced a new set of talents.Because of COVID-19, enterprises all over the world have moved to remote work and the ability to work and co-operate digitally has become a necessary talent. Employers in various industries believe that youth should concentrate on learning agility, virtual collaboration, flexibility, resilience, remote working, emotional intelligence, data analytics, and machine learning. According to industry experts, jobs will be created in IT, FMCG, e-commerce, and digital marketing in the next few years.
74% of the youth polled stated that they are not taking any steps to prepare for post-COVID-19 job market issues, while the remaining 26% said that they are upskilling or reskilling through various online training programs.
The majority of young people do not understand the need of learning new technical and soft skills in order to be prepared for the difficulties of the future job market. Only 26% of the youngsters polled said that they have taken part in training programs using online learning platforms such as the Learning & Earning Development (LEDP) initiative, 10 Minute School, BYLCx, Bohubrihi, Udemy, EMK Center, and Coursera. This demonstrates a dearth of knowledge regarding online learning options among the general youth.
Several explanations were given by the youth for why they did not participate in online training programs. Self-paced online courses, according to many young people, do not provide sufficient opportunity to clarify their misunderstandings.According to the report, women had a harder problem scheduling such training sessions than men, which can be related to women’s stronger involvement in family obligations in Bangladesh than males.
Socioeconomic Impressions on Society:
Even before COVID-19, graduate unemployment in Bangladesh was high. Bangladesh’s graduate unemployment rate was 38.66% in 2019, according to the Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS). Because of the reduced economic activity caused by COVID-19, most firms in Bangladesh froze hiring, resulting in a slower rate of job creation across all sectors of the economy. As a result, graduates will have a harder time finding work in the future years. Many existing occupations will become outdated as the world of work evolves, including technological advances and digitization. Unemployment among educated youth will grow more prominent in the years ahead unless real-time collaboration and integration between industry and academics, as well as targeted skills training programs for youth are implemented.
1. Public-private partnership:
To speed up digital content creation and successfully conduct online classes, the government might cooperate with private sector firms and NGOs to provide online skills development training.
2. Skills development training:
Government, private sector organizations, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) can collaborate to develop content for training programs to equip youth with the skills they need to succeed in a post-COVID-19 job market; a focus on greater accessibility, particularly among youth from marginalized backgrounds, should be prioritized.
3. Demand-driven skills training:
Skills training should be demand-driven rather than supply-driven; online training providers should collaborate with companies to design and deliver training courses that meet their needs. Both soft and technical abilities should be prioritized.
Md. Saif Mahabub
Department of Unani, Government Unani and Ayurvedic Medical College & Hospital
BUMS (University of Dhaka)
Former Student of
St. Joseph Higher Secondary School.
News Guardian/ MA/